Monday, May 24, 2010

Cake Pops....A Little Piece of Sprinkled Heaven!

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is had an awesome weekend! So, how would you like to whip up some super cute and super yummy cake pop? How cute are these bad little buggers?! The first time I saw them I fell in love with how absolutely adorable and delish they looked and knew they were destined to be whipped out in my kitchen for some fabulous end of the year teacher gifts! I definitely have to give props to the absolutely amazing and talented Bakerella! That is where I noticed these fine little sprinkled pieces of cake goodness! Check out her "sweet" site HERE! Her ideas are soooo cool and I love the inspiration I get from just looking at her creations! You can go straight to the cake pops page by visiting HERE.

All you need to make these sweet treats is a box of cake mix (mmm....chocolate anyone?!), a tub of white or cream cheese frosting (i used the vanilla confetti frosting because it came with separate sprinkles...saving $!), some candy melts, and a little lollipop kit from Michael's. The lollipop kit I snagged came with the bags, sticks, ties, and I was able to use a 50% off coupon on it making it super cheap. I was able to use my other coupon on the Wilton candy melts and I definitely recommend this particular type of candy melts! They were a dream to use and work with! Plus, with a coupon, how can a girl go wrong?! You should definitely know that I spent less than $5 on this entire project! Yep...20 gifts plus a few extra for personal late night munching enjoyment...ya can't beat that!

So, simply bake your cake according to the package directions and then let cool. Crumble it in a large bowl and then mix in the tub of frosting until it is thoroughly combined. Using your hands, shape into balls and place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate until firm and then remove. Once they are out of the fridge, pick them up and where they have sat on the baking sheet, on the little flat bottom, insert your lollipop stick. Melt your candy coating according to the package directions and dip the cake pop into the chocolate. This is the tricky part peeps! You want to roll and tap...gently (!) to get all the excess candy off, but you also want the candy to be coating the cake evenly. You also don't want to tap so hard that the cake falls off the stick! And, you may need to refrigerate the cake pops again if they get to soft while you are waiting to dip them...you want to keep them firm so they will be easier to work with.

Once you have them covered in chocolate, either dip them gently into your sprinkles or sprinkle the coating on..whichever you prefer. I dipped mine for better coverage. Next, insert them into a piece of styrofoam, any kind will do, so that they can dry right side up and get a pretty finish to them. After this, simply bag them up and tie on some cute ribbon. I used my Cricut Mini Monograms cart to cut some tags to attach. The paper is Making Memories and I used a Studio G sentiment & SU ink in Riding Hood Red. I also used an SU "To & From" stamp on the back for names. All of the products for the tags I had in my stash and I believe the ribbon came from Michael's 2 for $1 ribbon bin! I have to tell you that these are just so cute and so darn tasty...and I would love for you to try them out too! Let me know if you do and I would love to see how they turn out! Be back soon with some furniture re-do's I am working on, as well as a couple cards! Happy Craftin'!

Oh, and I am also linking up to these fabulous DIY sites! Check them out for amazing inspiration & projects you are sure to love!





Making

The Girl Creative

6 comments:

Erin said...

These are beautiful! I made them (without the sticks) and mine didn't turn out nearly as nice looking as yours! =o)

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Decorchick! said...

These look amazing and so adorable!! I will definitely have to try these. Thanks for stopping by my site, I'm following you now! xxoo

Kelly Schelske said...

Oh these look scrumptious!!

Margreet said...

so adorable they look, Crystal...did you receive my email regarding the won blogcandy???
xxx Margreet

Emma said...

Mmmmmmm they looks so delicious...
Hugs Emma x

Kristina said...

I have seen thos cute little buggers before but never realized how simple they were to make till I read your post :) Oh and yours look absolutely fabulous, quite professional really.

Related Posts with Thumbnails